Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Firsts

The Bear did a few new things this weekend. It is always so sweet when I catch him doing something new. I run to my planner and write it down on the date that he did it and how it happened. Well, sometimes I run right to the planner. I try to anyway. I don't want to let these things slip by me. I also have to write down the foods he tries every couple of days. He's eating so much now, it's hard to keep up!

Anyway...Daddy, Bear and I were sitting in the living room Sunday morning. Every so often I'll ask the Bear, "Where's Daddy? Where's Mommy?" Usually he just looks around and continues playing while I point and say "There's Daddy/Mommy" and make a big deal. But today...today was different. I asked him "Where's Daddy?" He looked at me like he was processing what I had asked him. *blink, blink* Turned to his Daddy and smiled the biggest grin. We made a big fuss while he continued to smile and silently pat himself on the back. I asked him "Where's Mommy?" at which point he turned to me and gave me a big smile. This was one of those times that I can still close my eyes and see his face at that moment. It was the first time that I knew he really understood what I was saying to him. Wow. He picks up some of what I blather on about all day long. Uhh-mazing!

Alright, the other first this weekend. The fair! I was so excited about taking him this year. I have so many fun memories of going to the fair growing up. A different fair, but still fun. Riding rides. Eating cotton candy. Seeing animals. Playing games. The lights blinking and twinkling like stars. The sounds of carnies yelling at you to come play their rigged games. The smells of various meats on a stick frying in tired, reused grease. Mmm...one of my favorite events of the year. I love the fair. My husband hates it. (What he really hates is living in a town that hosts a fair. Traffic is terrible. Grocery stores are terrible. People from out of town infesting your hometown. I agree with all of this but I still love the fair.) My son will also love the fair. I have decided.

Anyway, it was an overall success. We planned and timed it perfectly. Shortly after his morning nap but I wanted to be home by the time it got dark. He's had a constant ear infection for the past month+ so I didn't want him out in the cool night air. (BTW, we go this week for another follow up about his ears. Say a prayer that it's cleared up. Otherwise, they want to do tubes. Yuck.) The only thing I didn't plan on was it being so hot and him getting thirsty. I took food, but no bottles. He got his water by me dripping it from a straw into his mouth (little birdie style) from a $3 bottle of water. (Highway robbery)
He saw rabbits. Which didn't impress him, by the way.

He rode a tractor with his Papa.

He sat on a fence like a real countryboy and watched horses.

And then he fell asleep on the way to the car.
We had a lot of fun. I'm already looking forward to taking him next year when he can be really excited about all that's going on. And ride exciting rides like the Crazy Bus and the flying Dumbos. Wow...having kids is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment