Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Laughing at Myself -or- Nine to Shine is Nakie Time

I have to laugh at myself sometimes. Ok, I have to laugh at myself a lot. There are days when I should cackle all day like the village idiot because I do so many goofy things. When I really have to laugh at myself is when I do something and think, "Wow! I am so clever!"

I am tired of picking up toys and sippy cups when the Bear drops them while he's in his high chair or stroller. I don't like the idea of them being on the dirty floor or ground but it also becomes very tiresome and occasionally frustrating. For example, when we were at the fair a few weeks ago he kept dropping his peacock. (SOOO cute, you've got to see it. His name is Jacques the Peacock. Super colorful and makes all kinds of squeaks and rattles. The Bear loves him.) Now, I try not to be a germaphobe new mom, but the fair isn't winning any awards for cleanliness. They've got animals (and their poo) and a kajillion people that stomp through there everyday. You don't really want him mouthing on it after it's been on the ground. He doesn't throw things yet but he drops them a lot and I know the throwing days are coming. So, because of all this I knew we needed one of those leashes for sippy cups and toys that I had seen at the store so it wouldn't roll around in all that stanky nastiness. When I saw these sippy cup leashes at the store I thought to myself, "Why pay $12 for that? I can make that!" These words..."I can make that"...are often my undoing. (Ask anyone about the @#!%*$ hutch on my front porch.) It typically means I buy the stuff to make it and put it on my to do list that never gets to done. Well, this time it did get to done...

Now, before you ask what all the fuss is about, let me just say that I used my sewing machine to do this. (Write that down, hubby!) Not only that, but I sewed on elastic AND velcro. A first for me! I made one with velcro so we could loop it around a toy and one with elastic to fit snugly around his sippy cup. (We won't talk about how the first time the Bear dropped his sippy cup it promptly slid out of the elastic and dropped onto the floor. It landed on its bottom and hasn't slid out again since. Go fig.) I'm good with instant gratification projects like this. It was quick. (Seriously, like 10 minutes. Probably would have been faster if my sewing machine wasn't so out of practice.) I got the tutorial for it here. Yes, I am so re-re when it comes to this stuff that I need a tutorial for something so simple. That and I figure someone has already worked out the bugs, why reinvent the wheel?

And when the fabulous sippy cup leashes were done, I smiled smugly to myself and thought, "I'm so clever." At which point I had to began laughing at myself. I had to gently and sweetly remind myself that I didn't come up with this idea. It didn't take me several tries to figure out the best materials to use...velcro or elastic, etc. I googled what I wanted and BAM! Someone had already done it. I wasn't so clever, I just know how to use the internet. Still, I did allow myself to pat myself on the back for turning the sewing machine on and using it. (After a little troubleshooting help from Mom. Thanks Mom!) And I actually finished something. Wow, another something finished. I better watch out, I'm making that a habit.

Okay, now that you've suffered through my monologue I'll get on to the real reason anyone reads this blog to start with. The Bear.


Why, yes, that is a naked bottom you see. We've been fighting a raging case of diaper rash because of antibiotics. He was letting it all hang out for a while. He likes being nakie (and dumping all of his toys out of the bucket).



Here he is up on all fours. This is a fairly new trick. He'll move his hands and knees forward a time or two before dropping back down onto his belly and commando crawling. And see? He's not completely naked. He's wearing socks. Man, he's gonna kill me for these pics one day.
Just an update...after four rounds of antibiotics that didn't work to clear up the double ear infections our pediatrician sent us to an ENT. We had that appointment yesterday and the ENT says he needs tubes. We pretty much knew that was what he was going to say, but we're still not excited about him having to be put to sleep. The surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. Say a prayer for us. I know everything will be fine, but we were hoping to avoid this. But what else can you do? He's had ear infections for two months. We're pretty much out of options.
Hope everyone has a super week. We're getting geared up for the Bear's first Halloween! You're gonna love his costume...so cute. He turned 9 months yesterday so later this week I'll post his monthly pics and what new stuff he's doing. And Embrace the Camera is Thursday. Y'all come back now. Ya hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment